Gwili Steam Railway

Steam Locomotives

Santa_4462

Our steam fleet comprises of small ex-industrial locomotives.   The fleet is unique in that it encapsulates a century of industrial steam in South Wales, as many of our locomotives have operated in the region during their varied careers.  Use the drop-down 'Enthusiasts' menu above to learn more.

STEAM LOCOMOTIVES IN USE USE TODAY

WG_9366

RSH No. 71516/7170 Welsh Guardsman

"Welsh Guardsman" was built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn of Newcastle on Tyne in 1944 and was delivered new to the War Department. In 1947, she was sold to the National Coal Board to work in Northumberland, from where she was then transferred to Cynheidre Colliery near Llanelli. From 1976 until 1980 she was kept as a source of psares at Pontarddulais, before being saved by the Welsh Industrial & Maritime Museum. On arrival at Bronwydd Arms, parts from other locomotives were transferred: the loco no has the boiler from Hunslet No. 3822 and the cab and tank of Bagnall No 2758 of 1944.

WG DSC09473

The locomotive carries its war department number 71516 and was named "Welsh Guardsman" in a special ceremony at Bronwydd Arms. Following an overhaul at Llangollen the locomotive is now privately owned by Felinfoel Brewery and was rededicated at a ceremony at Bronwydd Arms on 9th June 2014.

RSH No. 7849 Moorbarrow

Moorbarrow, was built by RSH in 1955 for use by the National Coal Board (Northumberland Area) at Backworth Colliery. Whilst working there, it wore a smart royal blue livery and carried the number '47'. It subsequently moved to Whittle Colliery, before being sold into preservation in 1973. It gained it's name during a visit to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway: "Moorbarrow" is the fictitous name of Goathland Station in Pat Wilson's books and plays.

MB Santa_4764

"Moorbarrow" has led something of a peripatetic existence in preservation, having visited a number of different railways. It arrived at the Gwili Steam Railway in time to work in the 2015 Santa season and has seen use on a number of service trains this year.

MB Santa_5593

MB Santa_5267

Other locomotives on site today

Olwen and vint carriage 1

RSH 0-4-OST No.7058 (1942) Olwen

Originally worked at Earley Power Station near Reading, on its internal railway system. The locomotive is owned by the Gwili Railway Preservation Society who continue to raise money for its current overhaul. The frames and wheels can be seen on MPD at Bronwydd Arms, whilst the saddle-tank and cab (in bright green livery - giving a clue to it's useful role as a hire engine) are easily visible from the train as it passes through Cwnwcyderi Cutting, just outside Bronwydd Arms.

Peckett 0-4-OST No.1345 (1914) "Mond Nickel No.1"

Currently stored for static display. This locomotive used to work at Clydach-On-Tawe Nickel Works. It was restored in the preservation era at the Six Pit Works of the Swnasea Vale Railway. it subsequently moved to the Gwili Railway wher eit has been cosmetically restored into lined maroon lovery. The locomotive is temporarily stabled out of public view. Pictured behind Haulwen.

Haulwen DSC07629

Haulwen DSC01418

No.3879 Haulwen

Haulwen is a Hunslet Austerity locomotive, built in 1942 as No.5272. Constructed at the Vulcan Foundry in 1945, she initially worked as the Longmoor Military Railway (nmaed Insein), before being transferred to the Woolmer Institutional Railway. Sold by the Army to Hunslet in 1959, she was sent to Hunslet Ltd. in 1961 to be rebuilt and renumbered as No.3829. It was then sold to the National Coal Board to work initially at Cambrian Colliery and then at Mountain Ash. The engine wa splaced on loan at the Caerphilly Railway Society in 1981 and wa slater bought by them. The name Haulwen means "White Sunlight", "Bright Sunlight" or "Bright Star" depending on the translation from Welsh and was the name of the Mountain Ash Colliery Manager's Grandaughter. Haulwen has worked solidly at the Gwili Railway for the last nine years and is now on static display pending return to normal traffic.

TVR28_8250

01 Class 0-6-2T TVR No.28

Taff Vale Railway '01' Class 0-6-2 No.28 was built in 1897 at West Yard Works, Cardiff to a design by Tom Hurry Riches. It was sdesigned to pull passengers and freight on lines in the South Wales and cardiff Docks and represents one of a series of similar locomotive types that would influence the development of the GWRs 56xx class 0-6-2T.

No.28 was withdrawn from mainline service by the GWR in 1926. The locomotive saw further use with the Army in the National Coal Board, which enabled it to survive into preservation - becoming a part of the National Cillection in 1960.

Briefly returning to working order in Caerphilly in the 1980s, No.28 was later moved to the Dean Forest railway in Gloucestershire after the group looking after it disbanded. It then moved to the Llangollen Railway in a dismantled state, where it was stored until the intervention of the Gwili Vintage Carriage Group under the leadership of Dewi Jones and James Buckley. The Welsh Project was formed to raise money to re-assemble and cosmetically restore the locomotive and to return it as a display in Wales. This was the first step of a project to pair TVR No.28 with a collection of vintage carriages at the Gwili Steam Railway, including a ex-TVR No.220, a brake coach of 1981.

Vintage carriage DSC00971

Now back in one piece after 17 years (sporting GWR livery for the first time since 1927). The locomotive returned temporarily to Cardiff in April 2014. In a move initiated by the Cardiff Civic Society and with the assistanc efo Cardiff Council and the 'Brains Brewery'. TVR No.28 was displayed close to the site of West Yard Works where it was built whilst en-route to the Gwili Railway.

The Locomotive is now on loan to the Gwili Vintage carriage Group from the National Railway Museum in York.

Hunslet no 3829 DSC01325

Hunslet No.3829

Was built in Leeds in 1955 and worked at NCB Lady Windsor. It was originally purchased for restoration at the Swansea Vale Railway where some work was carried out in the Upper Bank Works. Now based at Gwili Railway it is currently stored on static display pending return to traffic.


Testimonials

Gwili Steam Railway, Bronwydd Arms Station, Bronwydd Arms, Carmarthen, SA33 6HT. Tel (01267) 238213 (Mon-Fri-10am-4pm)