- Events in 2017
- Abergwili Extension Update
- Gwili Railway urgently seeking new volunteers
- Trip Advisor Certificate 2016
- Extra Steam Taster date 20 May 2017
- 15/4/17 2017 Murder Mystery is SOLD OUT
- Classic Transport Event - Plan your day
- Support the Gwili Railway by purchasing the Old Signal Box DVD. Only £6
- Santa's Magical Steam Trains 2017
Full Day Steam Footplate Adventure
Drive a steam engine
The Gwili Railway Full Day Steam Adventure is intended to give our participants the chance to learn about the running of a steam railway during the 1950s. It is a full day out with breakfast and lunch included.
Our aim is to offer an insight into how a branch line railway operated in the 1950's, this includes the experience of driving a steam locomotive, firing it and helping the guard and signalman in their duties. You will also be invited to assist in the preparation of the locomotive. Getting dirty is part of the experience! Over 18 years only
- Full Day Steam Adventure dates for 2017
- Saturday 25th March Full day steam
- Saturday 17th June Full day steam
- Saturday 16th September Full day steam
- Saturday 30th September Full day steam
Perfect present for the train mad person in your
Is a special occasion coming up? Christmas birthday, Father's Day, birthday, anniversary or retirement? Why not treat him or her to a Full Day Steam Adventure at the Gwili Railway. Not sure which date will suit best? You can buy a voucher which can be exchanged for a place on one of the experiences above, subject to availability.
The Steam Experience Full Day runs:-
7.00am to 4.30pm
£350 per person*
Included in the full day Steam Experience:-
- Induction and safety briefing
- Lighting up the steam locomotive
- Breakfast with the operation crew
- A turn on the footplate driving the locomotive
- A turn on the footplate firing the locomotive
- Lunch (sandwiches and cakes) in the Victorian Tea Room
- One round trip assisting the guard
- One round trip assisting the Signalma
- A Driver Experience Certificate
- One year's membership of the Gwili Railway Preservation Society
*Up to 8 family and friends of each participant can enjoy the experience, riding on the trains and taking photos. They are welcome to have lunch with the crew and participants at a cost of £7 per head. You can pre-book guest lunch tickets by phoning the office 01267 238213 (Monday to Friday 10-4).
If you don't want to do the full day, take a look at our Taster Footplate Experience - an ideal gift for Christmas, Birthday or Father's Day.
Your day at the Railway
Driving - A full round trip on the footplate driving the locomotive and another round trip as fireman. So, altogether, ten miles minimum on the footplate of the loco.
Guard - At least one round trip assisting the Guard and learning all about the Guard's responsibilities being in charge of the train.
Signalman - Assisting the Signalman and, if you feel like it pulling a few levers, and learning the operation of a 1950's signal box.
||Guests to arrive and are greeted by the Footplate Experience
Host who will go over all the do's and don'ts when on the
|0730||Host to take guests up to stem locomotive and handover to the
footplate crew once they've been introduced.
|0930||Loco to move off shed, guests to help take water etc. Guests to
have breakfast in the Victorian Tea Rooms once loco is watered,
loco crew to put on train to steam heat if required. Guests
introduced to Guard & Signalman.
|1045||FIRST TRAIN DEPARTS|
|1200||SECOND TRAIN DEPARTS|
|1300-1330||Lunch at Victorian Tea Rooms at Bronwydd Arms Station|
|1345||THIRD TRAIN DEPARTS|
|1500||FOURTH TRAIN - Second 2 guests (change duties)|
|train arrives back at Bronwydd Arms. Host to hand out
certificates. Loco to Motive Power Department and dispose.
Since only two guests can be on the footplate for any one trip. The other two guests will spend that time with the guard or signalman and rotate in pairs during the day. Please note schedule may be subject to change on the day.
A maximum of 6 participants will be present on the Full Day Steam Footplate Adventure.
Family and Friends
If family and friends are dropping you at the Railway they may like to go into Carmarthen for breakfast and return to the railway in time for the first train.
- Hagan's Cafe & Chip Shop - on the outskirts of Carmarthen, serving a range of full Welsh breakfasts, popular with tradesmen. Free parking on site.
- Toby Carvery - serving breakfast from 8am, located in the new St Catherine's Walk Shopping Centre with a multi-storey car park just next door.
- Cafe Iechyd Da - vegan and organic cafe open from 9am in the heart of the old town.
Within striking distance of the railway are a number of attractions if you want to break up your day at the Railway
- Gwili Pottery - a delightful pottery studio just 2 miles from the Railway
- WWC Paddle Sports Specialists, Bronwydd - our very near neighbours house a large selection of canoe and kayaks and accessories for sale and hire - a wonderful place to whet your appetite for waterborne adventures
- Timberman, Bronwydd - just oppostie WWC, only 2 minutes up the road is this specialist supplier of woodworking machinery, power tools, woodturning and accessories
- Activities in Carmarthen
- Attractions in Carmarthen
- Carmarthen town - this county town offers a range of High Street stores and specialist independent shops.
If you'd like to end your day with a pub meal and take the time to re-live the experiences there are several eateries nearby
Hollybrook Country Inn, Bronwydd - on our doorstep, with its own Railway Corner you can continue your railway experience over dinner (rooms are also available).
The Railway Inn, Llanpumsaint - just 3 miles away, this delightful pub next to the railway track bed, serves excellent food. Pre-booking essential
Afonduad Inn - a country inn towards Newcastle Emlyn, this friendly pub will give you a warm welcome
Places to stay in Carmarthenshire
If your friends and family want to enjoy a day or weekend in Carmarthenshire, here are links to places to stay and things to do:
- Afonduad Inn - a country inn with rooms just a few miles from the Railway
- Hollybrook Country Inn - A pub with rooms, just a mile from the Railway
- Lllolfa Cynin - bed and breakfast with hotel style and onsite leisure centre
- Other lodgings in Carmarthen
The Gwili Railway can accept no liability for failure to operate advertised services or attractions. Information correct at time of publishing. For operational reasons it may be necessary to substitute a diesel locomotive for steam at short notice. In exceptional circumstances it may be necessary to cancel services.