Summer Gala 22-23 June 2019
Join us for the 2019 Gwili Railway annual summer Gala, we’re shifting our attention back 41 years to Graig Merthyr Colliery who were still running steam in 1978) – which has a special connection with our own RSH No.71516 “Welsh Guardsman”.
Our 2019 gala falls exactly on the 41st anniversary of the end of steam at Graig Merthyr colliery. “Welsh Guardsman” carries the boiler from Bagnall No.2758 – which famously worked the final train out of Graig Merthyr.
41 years on (to the day), we will recreate the spirit of the final day at Graig Merthyr – with an austerity carrying a wreath on the smokebox, as well as both the English & Welsh flags (as it did back in 1978).
Look out for:
- Intensive timetable in operation on both days
- Trains crossing at both Llwyfan Cerrig and Bronwydd Arms
- Demonstration goods train, featuring a series of photographic run pasts
- Displays and stalls at Bronwydd Arms
- D2178 on brake-van rides at Llwyfan Cerrig
- Live music at Bronwydd Arms (Saturday only)
- Road steam on display at Bronwydd Arms
- Afternoon ‘non-stop’ from Abergwili Junction to Danycoed on both days
- Sentinel steam wagon “Typhoo” on display (in steam) at Bronwydd Arms
- “Echoes of Graig Merthyr”: a photographic opportunity with “Welsh Guardsman” Saturday evening at Bronwydd Arms (approx.5pm onwards)
- “A Midsummer Night’s Steam” – celebrating the 75th birthday of “Welsh Guardsman” 6.00pm,
Curry £5.00 plus bar available on production of a valid ticket
Summer Gala Timetable Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 June 2019
Click to download the pdf files below…
Find out more details on Facebook: @TheGwiliSteamRailway
Event Prices: Adult £14.00, Child £8.00, Senior £12.00, Family £35.00, Dog £2.00
Bronwydd Arms Station, Carmarthen. SA33 6HT Tel: 01267 238213 email – [email protected]lway.co.uk
The Gwili Railway can accept no liability for failure to operate advertised services or
attractions. A Diesel locomotive may have to be substituted for steam locomotive at short notice for operational reasons. Information correct at time of going to print.