Breaking News – L92 to visit Gwili Railway…
We are delighted to announce that GWR Pannier Tank L92 (5786) will be joining us from March until mid-July courtesy of the South Devon Railway.
L92 was built in 1930 and spent most of her working life in South Wales before moving to London in 1958 and then worked on the London Underground until 1970, when she entered preservation. She is now owned by the Worcester Locomotive Society and is currently painted in London Transport colours.
L92 is one of several Great Western Railway pannier tanks in preservation; as immortalised by “Duck” in the Rev. Awdry’s “Thomas the Tank Engine” series. She is the third ex-London Transport pannier to visit the railway after 7752 (1988) and 5764 (2006).
L92 will be making her first visit to Wales for 62 years and we look forward to seeing and hearing her working trains up the Gwili Valley. Her first day in service will be on St David’s Day, March 1st, on the Sunday diner. She is booked to work many of the service trains during her stay, subject to availability. When not in use she will be making use of the newly commissioned engine shed at Bronwydd.
It’s been an exciting start to the year at the Gwili Railway and we now have even more to look forward to with the season ahead! Many thanks to both the Worcester Locomotive Society and the South Devon Railway for their kind assistance in agreeing to the hire.
The L92 will be available for driver experience days during March, April and May and will also take part in the Steam Gala on the 20/21 June and the Classic Transport Weekend on 19 July.
A special three day celebration of VE Day will run from the 8/9/10 May. The weekend will see the railway host a London transport weekend. The 8th will be a special Cream Tea VE Day train with an evacuee experience for children to participate in.
Steaming dates confirmed so far for L92:
- March – 1st St. David’s Day Sunday Dining Train (please note not suitable for foot passengers due to operational times). March – 21st Taster Driver Experience day and 22nd Mother’s Day Sunday Lunch.
- April – Easter Holidays 9th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), Easter Bunny Weekend 10/11/12/13, 16th, 23rd & 30th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 25th Full Driver Experience Day, 26th Sunday Dining Train.
- May – 2nd & 3rd Teddy Bears’ Picnic, 7th & 31st Normal Steam Service with L92, 8th Special VE Day Cream tea Train and Evacuee Experience, 9th & 10th VE London Transport Weekend, 16th Taster Driver Experience Day, 17th Sunday Dining Train, 14th, 21st & 28th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 23rd & 24th Circus Skills Weekend, 25th Bank Holiday Steam.
- June – 3rd, 10th & 24th Normal Steam Service with L92, 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 13th Superhero Day, 14th Sunday Dining Train, 20th & 21st Summer Steam and Diesel Gala.
- July – 1st, 8th 15th, 22nd, 26th & 29th Normal Steam Service with L92, 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th (Strawberry Cream Tea Trains), 21st & 22nd Circus Skills Days, 4th Full Driver Experience Day, 5th Sunday Dining Train, 19th Classic Transport Show.
Please note all special events and Cream tea days are suitable for foot passengers. Dining trains seating capacity 60 per train. Normal steam running days 150 per train 450 per day.
Trains depart 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, Sunday Dining Trains depart 12:30, Taster Driver Experience Days arrive 1 hour before 11:00, 13:00, 15:00. Full Driver Experience Days 7.00am start.
Commented Scott Artus, the Gwili Railway Marketing manager “We are delighted to be hosting this wonderful engine for part of the year and are very grateful to both the Worcester Locomotive Society and the South Devon Railway for the loan”.
To book visit our ‘What’s On’ section of the website:
Photo Credit: S Widdowson and P Hudson