45Th Anniversary Gala!
- Adult Rover Covers all day travel, 16+
- Child Rover Covers all day travel, 3-15
- Family Rover Covers all day travel, two adults and two children
On Saturday 30th September 2023, we will be holding our annual gala event. This is our busiest event of the year, when we run an intensive timetable with all available locomotives and rolling stock.
This year will be particularly special for us, as we celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Gwili Railway Preservation Society. We’re really proud that some of the original volunteers from that first season are still with us, and will be actively volunteering during this event. It’s also our first major event to make use of our new terminus at Abergwili Junction, complete with large carpark and carriage shed under construction. We’ve got a lot to celebrate!
Highlights of this year’s event include;
– Intensive timetable of steam and diesel trains, with departures every 45 minutes from our new terminus at Abergwili Junction
– Trade and display stands from local railway preservation societies
– Miniature traction engines on display (courtesy of Llanelli & District Model Engineering Society)
– 5″ gauge portable miniature railway in operation
– Book signing with railway author David Gowan (of “Quiet Between Trains”: featuring photographs of the late Vernon Parry, of steam on the Aberaeron branch in the 1960s)
– “The Gwili Gronk”: a rare Welsh passenger outing for 08888, on it’s only booked passenger working of the year at the Gwili (13.00 ex Abergwili Junction)
– Demonstration goods trains between Abergwili Junction and Bronwydd Arms during the day
– Cafe and “The Bookshed” open all day at Abergwili Junction
– Locomotives on display between trains at Abergwili Junction
– Railtour recreations: recreating the spirit of “The South Wales Railtour” (run by Stephenson Locomotive Society on 12th July 1958, featuring No 6434) and “The Mid Glamorgan Railtour” (originally run by the Monmouthshire Railway Society on 8th June 1963 with No.6435)
– “The Carmarthen Express”: a double-headed non-stop run in the ‘down’ (ie up-hill) direction, from Abergwili Junction to Danycoed – celebrating 45 years of the Gwili Railway Preservation Society!
– Photo charter on Saturday evening (pre-booked participants only, separate charge applies: bookable separately via 30742 Charters)
– Live music from Cor Meibion Cwm Rhondda (male voice choir, who will be performing at Abergwili Junction during the day (performance times TBC)
All tickets sold are rover tickets, which are valid on all passenger trains (except the 1930 ex Abergwili Junction) during the event. Note that it is not possible to travel on demonstration goods trains.