Heritage Lottery Grant success…
Work continues on the Heritage Lottery Fund supported the restoration of GWR Carriage No. 216 of 1888. This five compartments third-class four-wheel carriage entered the shed in September and since then has received a lot of attention. Many thanks to the dedicated team who continue to progress the repairs to this carriage. The interiors have been stripped of fittings and the sides brought up to an undercoat finish. The ceilings are also in white undercoat. When the weather gets warmer the compartments will be glossed and scumbled. The lottery grant has enabled us to order some of the finishing touches such as glass for the gas lights, and luggage racks and brackets, and window blinds and holders.
The exterior sides have been stripped of the waistline beading and the sides have been filled and sanded again into a green undercoat.
Work on the ten doors is ongoing and a contractor is constructing some new side panels to allow two of the worst to be completely replaced. The remaining 8 doors are being attended to and are in various stages of stripping and woodwork replacement.
Some of the brass parts have been polished to the nines and are ready to be returned to the carriage when the time comes. These are the rings that hold the gas lamp glass, to be fitted to the ceiling.
Work continues on the sanding, painting and woodwork repairs. We are pulling out all the stops and hope that the carriage will enter service at some point this year for the first time since 1933. With TVR carriage no. 220 of 1891 to move into the shed as well shortly, we hope that this will be a taste of things to come.